Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Lil Wayne on Line 1... RS

With the exception of me, my office team is fairly homogenous.  I’m pretty much the only dark spot up in this building.  Having worked in Corporate America for the better part of the last decade this is nothing to new to me and I’m really not bothered by it.  I don’t even notice it anymore… until some bullshit happens. 

So last Friday a girl on my team who is of the Caucasian persuasion wanted to exchange cell phone numbers because we had a big project due on Monday.  It seemed as if some weekend work was going to have to be done in order to finish the project, hence the exchange of the digits.  No problem.  She gave me her number and told me to call her right there so she would have mine... I did... And instead of a regular ring I heard…  wait for it… Lil Wayne… bumping through  the phone speakers.  She didn't hit the end button.... She just let it play....  I could see her thought process unfolding in her head....

"RS will think I'm hip and see that I have street cred.  He will recognize my gangsta and invite me into the black realm…"   

She stood there looking at me as if she was waiting for me to start bobbing my head and maybe dropped a few bars of my gangsta freestyle on her ass (or lack thereof).  I gave her none of it.  I didn’t even acknowledge that the song was playing.  I simply asked… “you got it?”  She acknowledged and walked away seemingly dejected. 

The really sad part about all this is that I never questioned her gangster.  Sever months back she successfully taught our boss to do the Stanky Leg in the hallway…  far better than I could have (see previous blog http://deuxlosers.blogspot.com/2009/11/office-dancing.html).

My life is a dumpster fire… 

RS

No comments:

Post a Comment