Monday, February 15, 2010

Singles Awareness Day ... LB

I just wanted to start by saying I do not recognize the holiday you call Valentines Day. What I do recognize is its sister holiday, Singles Awareness Day (SAD). I haven't actually recognized the holiday since 2nd grade.

Let me give you a run down of my V-Day experiences (there’s only 3)

2nd Grade
I was just a wee lass then, happily exchanging assorted valentines cards with candies stuck inside. When one little boy came up to me and said happy Valentine's Day and tried to come in for a kiss. I said "Ewww! You can't kiss me, you smell like cheese crackers"


Sidebar... He really did and I really do hate the smell of cheese crackers. You know the ones. They are Orange and have peanut butter in them. UGH GROSS!

Apparently, this really hurt his feelings and I was forced to stand in the corner and apologize. I do not see the justice in that. I was simply defending my right to not get cooties from a boy who smelled like cheesecrackers. 
Additional Sidebar... I spent a LOT of time in that corner staring at the chipping of the paint on the walls.

Update on cheesecracker boy:  I ran into his mother a little while ago and she told me ever since that incident he made her put cologne in his bath water. He is happily married now with a couple of kids. (He can thank me for that!)



First Boyfriend

I've actually never had an official Valentine. Never seemed to stay in a relationship long enough to experience it. (Don't cry for me Argentina) The closest I've ever come is with my very first boyfriend. We actually met after V-Day. We were on the phone and he was eating chocolates. Apparently, his V-Day had not gone so well. And as he sat on the phone eating the V-Day chocolates, meant for someone else, he said to me. If I had known you on V-Day, these would have been for you. He then proceeded to polish off the whole box during the rest of our phone conversation.


That moment was prob the single most romantic experience I had ever had.


Currently
I spend most Single Awareness Days with Ben and Jerry and a good movie (or whatever I've DVR'd over the past week.) This year was no different. As I sat on my living room furniture… i.e lawnchair (the doll furniture is on back order) catching up on old episodes of Modern Family and Burn Notice I realized, even if I was in a relationship the only thing that would change would be that the number of lawnchairs sitting in my living room eating Ben & Jerry's would increase by one.  

No comments:

Post a Comment