Thursday, November 19, 2009

A Racially Senstive Subject ... LB

At work, I usually spend my time unwittingly signing up my friends for herpes support groups or tracking when the newest sci-fi convention is coming into town.

But I have real work to do this week.  Real work means I'm not able to crap away my day in idle conversation, I actually have to stay at my desk and show tangible work for my time spent on company computers.  My absence prompted my boss and co-worker to come by and visit.  Everyone was curious as why I wasn't around to shoot the breeze.  So I ...(and here's where I messed up)... said "I was working like.... A FIELD SLAVE, to get everything accomplished." 

I had no idea what I'd done would be irrevocably harmful to my future well being in this company.  I believed the smiles and subsequent laughter that followed from them was good.  An affirmation of the fact that I am capable of making people laugh.  But I was wrong and what's worse is what's been happening ever since. 

Now when I walk by, (and this is no lie) I hear my boss making the whip noises.  Every time she drops off a new project, it comes with the "Just crackin' the whip" statement attached.  She made a remark that she was working me too hard like one of PHARAOH's slave drivers...  The remark instantly made me flash back to the beating scene in roots and I'm waiting for her to slip up and refer to me as TOBY. 


I did this to myself people... I opened the floodgates.  Now I have two options...

1. Post this... and quit as my dear friend said to me.  Drop the laptop like the mic in Coming to America and run! 

or... more feasibly.... 

2. Curtail the joking, and appear to be the angry black woman in order to get some peace around here.  So.... let the eye rolling and neck wagging begin! 

(I thought about option 1 - but the cost of replacing that laptop would have come right out of my unemployment checks, can't have that!)

PS.. I just added this because I love the movie so much...


Sexual Chocolate (Coming to America) Pictures, Images and Photos

1 comment: