Thursday, November 19, 2009

Wake up Call... RS




A while back my beautiful little Angel had the misfortune of breaking her leg at the beginning of her summer vacation. It was a horrible and tragic event for us both but sometimes I swear it was just a little bit worse for me than it was for her…

So one Sunday morning... I was awoken by the pitter patter of one little foot, two crutches and a cast dragging on the carpet, slowly creeping, into my bedroom...

"Daddy I'm not tired any more. I'm too excited..."

I had been hoping to sleep in a little longer that morning but realized that was not to be.... but then... I realized something far worse. It was still dark. And not just dark in my room. I mean it was dark outside. I turned my head toward my night stand to look at the clock and much to my horror... It was only 5:07am... IT’S SUNDAY MORNING DURING THE SUMMER!!!!! Its 5:07 am!!!!!!!!!!

Oh hell no!!!!

So I got up, looked at her and asked in my most pleasant and loving Daddy voice....
"What are you so excited about honey...?"
"You said we were going to Chucky Cheese today and I'm excited so I can’t sleep anymore..."
I thought I was having a nightmare or something.... This couldn’t be happening. I sat up in bed and thought to myself... I should terminate this apparition of my child right now for it could not actually be her this early in the morning. It simply made no sense. She’s a child. Children like to sleep. Therefore this cannot be her. And there is no way in hell she is so excited about Chucky Cheeses that she saw fit to come in to my room at 5:07am and disturb my slumber.

I realized that the termination of the beautiful small being standing before me was not an option. So I picked up my broken little angel, carried her to the living room, put her in front of the TV, turned on her favorite DVD and prayed that perhaps that would be enough for her to allow me to sleep at least a few more hours. Less than two hours later... at 7:00am I was again awoken by a sound. This time it was not the pitter patter of one foot, two crutches and a cast dragging on the carpet but rather the sound of on angelic little voice carrying out in a sweet melody…
"Daddy I'm hungry..."
F-Word!

Ok, got to get up and feed my child... which I then happily did. At that point it became clear to me that I was up for good. No shot at getting any extra shut eye that morning. So I started to do my normal Sunday morning stuff while she was watching TV. I figured Chucky Cheese would be a noon time endeavor so I’ve got five hours to kill before then . I washed dishes, paid bills, folded laundry... and then sat on the couch next to my baby to watch some TV. It was 11am by that point. One hour to go before Chucky Cheese time. And then the worst possible thing that could have happened… happened…

She looked up at me with her little puppy dog eyes, yawned and then had the audacity to say...
"Daddy, I'm sleepy. I'm going to take a nap."
WTF?? WTF x2!! I was about to lose my mind!!!!! She then proceeded to crutch her little behind down the hallway to her room... where she slept…… until…… 4pm!!!!!! I was sitting there all by myself for the next five hours wondering how all of this had happened. Perhaps if I hadn't sinned so much as a youth or lost my temper so many times as an adult this wouldn't be happening to me....

We didn't make it to see Chucky until after 5pm. She was lethargic the whole time….

RS

2 comments:

  1. My son does this to me all the time... The TV does give you an extra hour or two... Till they want breakfast....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bwahahahahahahaha. This was funny when you told me the first time and it's still funny now. LOL. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete